Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thoughts

Thoughts. I have had many thoughts running through my brain lately. So many that when I lay in bed at night I try to piece the day together between running here and there, working, and doing this and that. Thoughts of a wedding coming up (225 days to be exact), thoughts of my future since everybody keeps asking what I am going to do next, thoughts of family, thoughts of a friend who is going through an extremely hard time right now, and being Catholic, thoughts on lent and the meaning of it all.

Lent is an important time for Catholics. It is a time for exactly what this post is all about. It is time to reflex, to ask for forgiveness, and most of all to experience what Jesus Christ did for us. We don't eat meat on Fridays (or Ash Wednesday), we are expected to fast, we are expected to give up something like He gave up for 40 days and nights. All of this, such a small price, for what He did about 2000 years ago for us.

This lent I decided that I was going to give up buying myself material items (excluding groceries and toiletries). I already have all the material things I need and more. But as I watch a friend struggle (you wouldn't know she is struggling because she has such a positive attitude) I keep asking myself what else can I give. What can I give so that in return she is given just a little break? Don't get my wrong, I am not seconding guessing my faith, I know that God chose a path for everyone and He chose this path for her because he knew she could handle it. But I just have so much and I am so blessed and it has me asking the question "what else can I give?"

At church on Sunday I received this:
Turtle Bread
I received this from a second grader who will be receiving first communion in May and in returned I promised to pray for him and the steps that he will take in his religious life starting with the step of first communion.

So please tonight, Sunday at church, Easter at church, or whenever you get around to it will you send up a few extras prayers. A prayer for my friend to be given more strength and to help her and many others around her to see the light in all this darkness. And a prayer for this little boy that he will continue to follow the light of God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how the Lord works, I will add these special people to my prayers, He walks with them and you.. these people are so lucky to have you in there life, God is your help he is the one who sustains you..
Tell your Friend: Remember,The problems ahead of you Are never as great as the power behind you !!

I just love the turtle bread how cut is that..

You are a Beautiful Person, I love you
Aunt Laurie

Anonymous said...

I will pray everyday for your friend, and the 2nd grader. I pray that they can see how bright the light is. That they keep their eyes and their mind to the light. I pray for you and your strength.You touch a lot of hearts. Love you Mom

Stacey said...

I was just going back on some old posts you wrote... I feel like I fell behind! This one was great! I gave up pop and biting my nails for Lent... it has been hard but seems so silly compared to what others are going through. Can't wait to see you again soon! Wedding time is coming closer and closer!