Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Opps! Tasteful Tuesday on Wednesday!!

Sorry! Was super busy yesterday and never posted my Tasteful Tuesday post! I did make dinner Monday night (Valentine's day) and surprisingly it was just Josh and I (mom and dad went out and Nathaniel was at a friends). I made a very classic chicken pot pie! Proteins, carbs, and veggies all in one! All I needed to add was fruit.

Classic Chicken Pot Pie
1 box of refrigerated pie crust, softened
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup onion (I sprinkled in onion powder)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2  shredded cooked chicken 
one bag of frozen mixed veggies
3 potatoes (I precooked them)

1. Cook chicken and then cut or shredded into small pieces (your hands work best for this so let the chicken cool)
2. Heat over to 425 F. Make the pie crusts as directed on the package in a 9 inch glass pie pan
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion (if using) and cook 2 mins, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
4. Stir in chicken and veggies. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust
5. Bake 30-40 mins or until crust is golden brown. During last 15-20 mins of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let send 5 mins before serving!
Hope you enjoy!!!

Have you been following my blog posts? Let me know if you have tried some of my recipes that I have posted or if you have suggestions on things to cook up!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I plan on sampling the pot pie tonight. Tonight is leftover night. If I know you it will be very good. Love Mom

simplicity said...

We haven't had chicken pot pie in a long time, I'm not sure why not because our kids love it! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Also, I have to know, did you take that picture? If so I am MAJORLY impressed :)