Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tasteful Tuesday

Thank goodness I made dinner last night, my mom ended up having to work. Too bad she missed out.

I made a dish called Pastitsio (I don't know how to pronouce it but I am assuming it is an italian dish. It took roughly an hour to make.

Pastitsio
8 ounces uncooked ziti or elbow macaroni
1 pound ground beef or lamb (or even turkey)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I did not use this do to picky eaters)
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2.Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
3. Cook and stir meat, onion (if using any) and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and cinnamon. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 mins.
- I cooked the pasta while cooking the meat to save time
4. Layer 1/2 of pasta in baking dish. Top with meat mixture and then remaining pasta.
5. For sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook and stir 1 min. Whisk in milk. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 6 mins. Place beaten egg in small bowl; stir some of the sauce into egg. Return egg mixture to saucepan; cook and stir 2 mins. Stir in 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
6. Pour sauce mixture over pasta layer. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4cup of paremsan cheese. Bake 30-40 mins until heated through and golden brown.
Recipe from Home-Tested Casserole Recipes
 
  
http://recklesschef.net/2008/12/08/my-big-fat-greek-pastitisio/
Hope you enjoy this just as much as we did!!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are intense with your cooking! When I started cooking the first thing I made was chicken parmesan, cause it's like spaghetti with chicken! lol!

Last night Joe and I had hand made, home made chicken pot pie. Made by my hands in our home! I even made the pie crust! :)

That's about as fancy as I've ever gotten and it's taken me at least 2 years to get here... so GOOD JOB! on getting so fancy so early! Way to set the bar high!

-Adrianne

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed the meal. There was not any left for me to try. Your dad and brother said it was very good. Maybe next week Love Mom